Overview of the Brewery District
The City of Tacoma is currently conducting a study to help
revitalization efforts in the area of Downtown Tacoma known as the
Brewery district, in particular, on city-owned properties and
historically significant buildings.
Downtown Element of the Comprehensive Plan (2008) includes proposals to preserve historic assets
of downtown Tacoma as well as support the arts and creative industry. To
support these initiatives, the Community and Economic Development
Department of the City of Tacoma is conducting a feasibility study on
the future vision and existing development opportunities in the Brewery
District/Nob Hill/University areas.
The general boundaries for the study area are Tacoma Avenue to the
West, South 17th to the North, I-5 to the South, and I-705 to the East
Goals considered for the study may include:
• Attracting creative industry and cultural enterprises
• Encouraging business and job development for the existing business
• Supporting destinations such as Tacoma Art Museum, Washington State
History Museum and Museum of Glass.
• Preserving and reusing historic buildings
• Enhancing property values
Questions? Contact Amy McBride,
Tacoma Arts Administrator.